Welcome!

An online space for queer, questioning, lesbian, bi, trans and everything else in between women at Yale

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Missing home

I have arrived to Singapore. I got here about 8 hours ago, and spent most of them showering, eating, and sleeping. I should be excited about being here, and I am. I should be excited about (re)meeting the rest of the interns, and I am. But mostly I can't help thinking about how much I miss my girlfriend, and how much I'd like to be home.

This is the first time that being home for a couple of weeks didn't feel like it was enough. I felt like I was just getting started, and that there were so many more things that I wanted to do, and so much more time that I wanted to spend with her, and with my Mom, of course.

Last summer I had the chance of staying home for about a month and a half, but the overachiever in me, and one with a skewed view of reality, could not bear the thought, and so I found something else to do and left. I ended up doing an internship which I did not enjoy, which showed to my supervisors. It ended up not being the experience I had hoped for. And now, although I am so far enjoying my time here, and although I am excited about what lies ahead, I am also really wanting to be home. I think the main reasons for this are that I get to see my gilfriend every day, hang out with her, stay for a long time, without the "oh shit the weekend's over" and a 2 hour commute. I also really enjoyed spending time with my Mom, and my brother for the last day (his first day back home). I enjoyed reconnecting with old friends, and yes, I loved not doing absolutely anything.

This makes me think about what I am going to want to do next summer, but that's too far in advance, plus I don't know if I'll be waiting to go to grad school, waiting for my job to start, or still in the process of finding a job/figuring out what to do with my life. A bit closer to reality, when I get back from Singapore, my Mom and my girlfriend will be in different cities. FUN. So I'll have to budget my time appropriately, and somehow explain to my Mom that she should not be jealous of her. Oh well...What about you? Are you home? Were you/will you be at home this summer? Tell me your summer story (so far)!

1 comment:

the girlfriend said...

I miss you too....and i hate that you´re in singapore...not really....but kind of