Welcome!

An online space for queer, questioning, lesbian, bi, trans and everything else in between women at Yale

Monday, April 12, 2010

Anti-anti-Bieber Rant

So I love Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Bieber, the blog. I'm not sure if anyone's posted about it before, but if you haven't heard of it, it's an epic blog that posts pictures of either lesbians who look like Justin Bieber or pictures of Justin Bieber "looking particularly lesbi". (Ha ha ha ha ha!!) It is SO cute! Anyway, someone posted a not-so-nice comment the other day which I really didn't like:

http://lesbianswholooklikejustinbieber.tumblr.com/post/513819742/title-of-my-blog-lesbians-who-look-like-justin

Wow wow wow. I keep hearing this stuff everywhere... in the ally workshop, in readings for one of my WGSS classes, in talking with people in the straight world about their stereotypes. And it sucks! Whatever happened to valuing diversity in our community? Someone needs to smack this girl. Yeah, I feel no urge to cut my hair short, yeah, I'm usually more attracted to feminine girls. That doesn't discount the entire other variety of the women-identified women population, though! Why why why can we not value diversity when all of us are so naturally varying (um the whole loving women thing) ourselves? I mean I know why it is. People are scared, vulnerable, and don't want the world to think badly of them. I know I thought that way in high school. But it's time for us to get over it! People who hard-core hate lesbians are going to hate them no matter what, and someone who can be convinced to accept us can be convinced to accept a spectrum of gender expression, too. Besides, butch girls are incredibly cute. What's better than a woman strong enough to defy society's standards and be who she is? Yay butch girls, yay femmes, yay lipsticks. Let's just be ourselves and be proud of it.

No comments: