Welcome!

An online space for queer, questioning, lesbian, bi, trans and everything else in between women at Yale

Monday, February 14, 2011

A case for love

I love Valentine's Day. I'm probably one of five single people in the world who feels this way, but it's true nonetheless.

For me, Valentine's Day has never been about romantics. Every year, I'm taken back to elementary school days when we all had little paper bags and everyone had themed valentines to hand out to their friends. It was a time to celebrate innocence, a day in which we all told our friends, parents and siblings that we loved them. We weren't concerned with being single or not having a date; love was love.

I still hand out those little themed cards (this year: Batman and other DC comic heroes). Yes, I'm technically a grown up now and by worldly standards should have probably given that up, but, quite frankly, I don't see why. Whether we have significant others or not, we can still celebrate the love we have for the people in our lives- be it our roommates, parents, or that random kid in bio lab on whom you've been crushing. February 14th is one day out of the year that we can all take time to say, "I love you" and not have people look at us weirdly (ok, maybe if you do a very public confession to bio lab kid. Maybe rethink that one).

If we're single and happy, playing the field, in the midst of a budding romance, or married 59 years, love should and does surround us. Love is, and will forever remain, love.

So celebrate it.

No comments: