Welcome!

An online space for queer, questioning, lesbian, bi, trans and everything else in between women at Yale

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Coming (out) at Yale

Yale has blown my mind. I never imagined there could be not only such a gay place, but such a gay-friendly place. I've had my fair share of less-than-fortunate experiences with homophobia, and I must say, coming to Yale was so much more than merely a refreshing change of pace, it was exactly what I needed.

I continue to find myself in complete and utter awe by what a non-issue my sexuality is with my roommate and with my suite mates and with my friends, by the way (a good portion of) people are genuinely concerned about the marginalizing effects of heteronormativity (and why that matters), and by the way it is just okay to be myself. I've never felt as safe and comfortable as I do here at Yale, and the sad part is, I know once I leave, it will most likely never be this way again. I've had the wonderful privilege to be able to truly find myself here, and as I settle in on my identity, I couldn't be happier with who I am.

So thank you Yale, and all you Yalies, for allowing me to find, and to be, who I am.

No comments: